The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
June 2002 Issue - 23 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
The Reduction of Tom Ridge... Sympathy for the Devil... Tummy Tucks and Templelifts... ...
- Memo of the Month, p. 8
- Pope Hopefuls, pp. 9-11
Everyone assumes that John Paul II's successor will be conservative. Don't bet on it.
- Who's Who?, pp. 12-14
- In a Snob-Free Zone, pp. 15-18
Is there a place where one is outside all snobbish concerns--neither wanting to get in ...
- Bomb Saddam?, pp. 19-25
How the obsession of a few neocon hawks became the central goal of U.S. foreign policy.
- The Trouble With Frida Kahlo, pp. 26-32
Uncomfortable truths about this season's hottest female artist.
- Zone Defense, pp. 33-37
Drug-free school zones were supposed to keep dealers away from kids. But what happens w...
- Tidbits & Outrages, p. 38
- The Tow-Away Tax Break, pp. 39-42
Why car donation programs benefit everyone but the charities they're intended to help.
On Political Books
[+] What Were They Smoking? (Review) , pp. 43-44
How the anti-tobacco movement blew the opportunity of a lifetime.
- Smoke in Their Eyes by Michael Pertschuk
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 45
On Political Books
[+] Cramer vs. Cramer (2 Reviews) , pp. 46-47
Critics say Wall Street's favorite talking head is obnoxious, abusive, and crooked. Jim...
- Confessions of a Street Addict by James J. Cramer
- Trading with the Enemy by Nicholas W. Maier
[+] Low Roads Lead to Rome (Review) , pp. 48-50
The most exalted of all Roman politicians was a master of dirty politics.
- Cicero by Anthony Everitt
[+] Embarrassment of Riches (Review) , p. 51
Wealth and Democracy, by Kevin Phillips
- Wealth and Democracy by Kevin Phillips
[+] Collect and Serve (Review) , p. 52
The Banana Sculptor, the Purple Lady, and the All-Night Swimmer, by Susan Sheehan and H...
- The Banana Sculptor, the Purple Lady, and the All-Night Swimmer by Susan Sheehan and Howard Means
[+] Betting on Boris (Review) , p. 53
The Russia Hand, by Strobe Talbott
- The Russia Hand by Strobe Talbott
[+] Iron Women (Review) , p. 54
Class Action, by Clara Bingham and Laura Leedy Gansler
- Class Action by Clara Bingham and Laura Leedy Gansler
[+] Generally Wrong (Review) , p. 55
Supreme Command, by Eliot A. Cohen
- Supreme Command by Eliot A. Cohen
[+] Fabulous Fabulist (Review) , p. 56
Reporting Back, by Lillian Ross
- Reporting Back by Lillian Ross
[+] The Hate Debate (Review) , p. 57
Hate Crime, by Joyce King
- Hate Crime by Joyce King
[+] Spinning History (Review) , pp. 58-62
Power Plays, by Dick Morris
- Power Plays by Dick Morris