The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1999 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
SAT Tutors... Deadbeat Dads... Protecting Pedestrians... Mitch McConnell's Maker's Mark...
Special Section: Taking on Big Tobacco
- Making it Uncool, pp. 8-13
Laughter is our best weapon in the war on teen smoking.
- The AMA's Cigarette PAC, pp. 14-16
Why does the American Medical Association support pro-tobacco candidates?
- The GDP Myth, pp. 17-21
Why "growth" isn't always a good thing.
- Clinton Abroad, pp. 22-26
His record isn't perfect, but it's better than the experts think.
- Bad Prescription, pp. 27-31
Why privatizing Medicare may be hazardous to your health.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 32-33
- Campaign Reform: A Way Forward, pp. 34-37
Close the loopholes, provide free air time, and fire the consultants.
- Who's Who, pp. 38-40
- Memo of the Month, p. 41
On Political Books
[+] The Epic Years (Review) , pp. 42-43
A magisterial history of the century's defining decades.
- Freedom from Fear by David M. Kennedy
[+] Down! Set! Tut! Tut! (Review) , pp. 44-45
Hiking toward Bethlehem.
- Monday Morning Quarterback by Jonathan Yardley
[+] The Hidden Wound (Review) , pp. 46-47
The story of a black lawyer who tried and failed to ignore his race.
- The Good Black by Paul M. Barrett
[+] The Glamour Trap (Review) , pp. 48-51
Are "entertainment values" blinding us to what really matters?
- Life: The Movie by Neal Gabler
[+] Tilted Scales (Review) , p. 52
No Equal Justice, by David Cole
- No Equal Justice by David Cole
[+] GE's Greed (Review) , pp. 52-54
At Any Cost, by Thomas F. O'Boyle
- At Any Cost by Thomas F. O'Boyle
[+] Capital Follies (Review) , p. 55
Little Green Men, by Christopher Buckley
- Little Green Men by Christopher Buckley
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 56-58