The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1997 Issue - 24 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
William III... Clean Favors... Dialing for Dollars... The First China Lobby... Natural ...
- Government Can Work, pp. 8-10
The Santa Monica story.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 11
- A cure that will work, pp. 12-13
- HMO Rip-Off , pp. 14-15
- The Truth About Fraud , pp. 16-19
- Memo of the Month, p. 20
- Stop the Madness!, pp. 21-24
Outlaw those phony campaign commercials.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 25
- Stop Dissing The Washington Times!, pp. 26-33
It's not just "that Moonie paper" anymore.
- Who's Who, pp. 34-37
- Stately Living, pp. 38-39
How to lose money in real estate Uncle Sam's way.
On Political Books
[+] Apocalypse Later (Review) , pp. 40-42
Alarmist predictions of global warming only obscure the real danger.
- The Heat Is on by Ross Gelbspan
[+] An American in Africa (Review) , pp. 43-44
Richburg is right to note the horrors of Africa, but wrong to claim they are unique.
- Out of America by Keith B. Richburg
[+] Just Your Average Aristocrat (Review) , pp. 45-47
David E. Bruce had money, charm, and an unoriginal mind.
- The Last American Aristocrat by Nelson D. Lankford
[+] The New Specter (Review) , pp. 48-51
China is dangerous, but the authors' suggestions are even more so.
- The Coming Conflict with China by Richard Bernstein and Ross H. Munro
[+] Great Expectations (Review) , pp. 52-53
Banishing Bureaucracy, by David Osborne and Peter Plastrik
- Banishing Bureaucracy by David Osborne and Peter Plastrik
[+] Back in the USSR (2 Reviews) , pp. 54-55
Translating History, by Igor Korchilov
- Translating History by Igor Korchilov
- My Years With Gorbachev and Shevardnadze by Pavel Palazchenko
[+] Flashback (Review) , p. 56
Reassessing the Sixties, by Stephen Macedo
- Reassessing the Sixties by Stephen Macedo
[+] The Holy Grail (Review) , p. 57
Mirage, by George Hager and Eric Pianin
- Mirage by George Hager and Eric Pianin
[+] Setting a Limit on Markets (Review) , pp. 58-59
Everything for Sale, by Robert Kuttner
- Everything for Sale by Robert Kuttner
[+] Hooked on Hardward (Review) , pp. 60-62
Defense Addiction, by Sanford Gottlieb
- Defense Addiction by Sanford Gottlieb
- Cover Art