The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
July 1997 Issue - 24 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Rampant Rottweilers... Cheap Coke... Cheap Chic ... Credit-Crazed Juveniles... Yogi Law...
- Unlocking the Cabinet, pp. 8-11
Robert Reich provides an inside look at life in the inner sanctum.
- The Real Class War, pp. 12-16
When it comes to taxes, it's the rich against the rest of us.
- The Worst Tax, pp. 17-20
How payroll taxes have hurt America's working class.
- Bill and Paula, pp. 21-23
The distinction between social misbehavior and actionable misconduct.
- Republican Hypocrites, pp. 24-26
GOP budget cutters are hawks--until it comes to trimming their own pork.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 27
- The Man Behind the Curtain, pp. 28-31
Meet the man behind the conservative revolution.
- Who's Who, pp. 32-34
- The NATO Mistake, pp. 35-37
Expansion for all the wrong reasons.
- Tales of the City, pp. 38-41
Ward Just's new novel provides a window on Washington.
On Political Books
[+] Why We Needed Welfare Reform (Review) , pp. 42-44
Instead of debunking the welfare myth, David Zucchino has proved it true.
- The Myth of the Welfare Queen by David Zucchino
[+] Remembering an American Communist (Review) , pp. 45-48
Earl Browder strove to wrap Marxism in the Stars and Stripes.
- Earl Browder: The Failure of American Communism by James G. Ryan
[+] Deeper Deceptions (Review) , pp. 49-50
This latest book shows that Vietnam wasn't as bad as everyone thought it was--it was wo...
- Dereliction of Duty by H.R. McMaster
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 51
- Memo of the Month, p. 52
[+] Master of the Obvious (Review) , p. 53
Whatever It Takes, by Elizabeth Drew
- Whatever It Takes by Elizabeth Drew
[+] The Next World War (Review) , p. 54
The New War, by John Kerry
- The New War by John Kerry
[+] The Too Quiet Man (Review) , p. 55
George Ball: Behind the Scenes in U.S. Foreign Policy, by James A. Bill
- George Ball: Behind the Scenes in U.S. Foreign Policy by James A. Bill
[+] Say You Want a Devolution (Review) , pp. 56-57
Disunited States, by John D. Donahue
- Disunited States by John D. Donahue
[+] Walsh's Last Stand (Review) , p. 58
Firewall, by Lawrence E. Walsh
- Firewall by Lawrence E. Walsh
[+] A Dream Deferred (Review) , pp. 59-62
FDR and the Creation of the U.N, by Townsend Hoopes and Douglas Brinkley
- FDR and the Creation of the U.N by Townsend Hoopes and Douglas Brinkley
- Cover Art