The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 1997 Issue - 21 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
LBJ's Fear of Impeachment... The CIA's Numbers Game... The Buddy System... The Non Prof...
- A New Breed of Hired Gun, pp. 8-11
In today's legal system, you not only need the best lawyers money can buy--but also the...
- Pill Pushers, pp. 12-13
Pharmaceutical companies are emphasizing marketing--and downplaying responsible medicine.
- Who's Who, pp. 14-15
- Bad Choices for Big Jobs, pp. 16-20
How Clinton misplays identity politics.
- Memo of the Month, p. 21
- How to Make College Affordable, pp. 22-26
No one is talking about the best and cheapest solution.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 27
- Why the Right May be Right, pp. 28-32
After two decades, why is the Department of Education still ignoring the basic problems...
- Mission Creep, pp. 33-37
In this era of budget cutting, why is the VA trying to expand its clientele?
Art & Politics
- The End is Near!, pp. 38-40
Why disaster movies make sense (and dollars) in the '90s.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 41
On Political Books
[+] The Marx Mistake (Review) , pp. 42-45
Greider reminds us how clever Marx was--and why he was ultimately wrong.
- One World, Ready or Not by William Greider
[+] A Thin Case (Review) , pp. 46-48
Economic espionage may be rampant, but this book doesn't quite prove it.
- War by Other Means by John J. Fialka
[+] He Had a Dream, Too (Review) , pp. 49-51
When civil rights leader Bayard Rustin dared to question affirmative action, the black ...
- Bayard Rustin: Troubles I've Seen by Jervis Anderson
[+] Divorced from Reality (Review) , p. 52
The Divorce Culture, by Barbara Dafoe Whitehead
- The Divorce Culture by Barbara Dafoe Whitehead
[+] Crawling Toward Capitalism (Review) , pp. 53-55
Kremlin Capitalism, by Joseph R. Blasi, Maya Kroumova, and Douglas Kruse, ...
- Kremlin Capitalism by Joseph R. Blasi, Maya Kroumova, and Douglas Kruse, ...
[+] Liddy-gate (Review) , pp. 56-57
Will, by G. Gordon Liddy
- Will by G. Gordon Liddy
[+] How We Won the War (Review) , p. 58
Butter and Guns, by Diane B. Kunz
- Butter and Guns by Diane B. Kunz
[+] Millenium Madness (Review) , pp. 59-62
The Fourth Turning, by William Strauss and Neil Howe
- The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe