The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1996 Issue - 21 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
The Post's electric car... The Times's olive oil... UPS's speed-up... Hillary's congeni...
- The Public Schools' Last Hurrah?, pp. 8-17
Without quick and decisive change, it could be. A five-point plan to save the schools b...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 18
- Presumed Guilty, pp. 19-21
To racist police, innocence is no defense.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 22-25
- The Senator, The Judge, His Wife, and The Coverage, pp. 26-27
Hillary and Bill aren't the only ones with some explaining to do in the Whitewater saga.
- Memo of the Month, p. 28
- The Murder of New York Newsday, pp. 29-37
How Wall Street's obsession with the bottom line killed one good newspaper--and threate...
- Who's Who, pp. 38-39
- What If We Held an Election and Nobody Came?, pp. 40-41
Voter turnout is plummeting. How vote-by-mail reverses the trend.
On Political Books
[+] Go Team! (Review) , p. 42
Coach Carville gives liberals a rousing pep talk.
- We're Right, They're Wrong by James Carville
- Political Book Award, p. 43
On Political Books
[+] Making It, Part 2 (Review) , pp. 44-48
Inside the Ivy League admissions game.
- Getting in by William Henry Paul
[+] Prelude to a Disaster (Review) , pp. 49-51
The young reporters tried to tell the truth about Vietnam--but was anybody listening?
- Once Upon a Distant War by William Prochnau
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 52
[+] Review Storming the Gates, by Dan Balz and Ronald Bro... (Review) , p. 52
- Storming the Gates by Dan Balz and Ronald Brownstein
[+] Review Time Present, Time Past, by Bill Bradley (Review) , pp. 52-54
- Time Present, Time Past by Bill Bradley
[+] Review Medical Malpractice and the American Jury, by ... (Review) , pp. 55-57
- Medical Malpractice and the American Jury by Neil Vidmar
[+] Review NO Matter How Loud I shout, by Edward Humes (Review) , pp. 58-59
- NO Matter How Loud I shout by Edward Humes
- Political Puzzle, pp. 60-62
- Cover art