The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
December 1996 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-9
Of Bullets and Nikes... Hitler's Plan for America... Jenny Rodham Jones... David and th...
- Another Beltway Bubba?, pp. 10-16
Fred Thompson has spun an insider background into a good ol' boy image that could take ...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 17
- Most Favored Lobby, pp. 18-22
China gets what it wants the old-fashioned way.
- Memo of the Month, p. 23
- X-33Men, pp. 24-26
Gore and Goldin's new space shuttle is a bad idea whose time has come.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 27
- Credibility Gulf, pp. 28-35
The military's battle over whether to protect its image or its troops.
- Holiday Books, p. 36
- Battle of the White Hats, pp. 37-39
Two campaign finance reform groups fight the good fight--with each other.
- Who's Who, pp. 40-41
Art & Politics
- Dream Builder, pp. 42-45
Architect Stanford White and the values of the Gilded Age
- Political Puzzle, pp. 46-47
On Political Books
[+] Defend It, Don't Mend It (Review) , pp. 48-49
Clinton's affirmative action man has little bad to say about racial preferences.
- Not All Black and White by Christopher Edley, Jr.
[+] Defending the L.A.P.D. (Review) , pp. 50-51
It's not easy--as this book shows.
- Boot by William C. Dunn
[+] The Great Equalizer (Review) , pp. 52-55
The color-blind Army gives African Americans what the rest of the country won't.
- All That We Can Be by Charles C. Moskos and John Sibley Butler
[+] The Birth of a Skeptic (Review) , p. 56
Doing Battle, by Paul Fussell
- Doing Battle by Paul Fussell
[+] Budget Chicken Littles (Review) , pp. 57-58
The Vampire State, by Fred L. Block
- The Vampire State by Fred L. Block
[+] The Prophet Daniel (Review) , pp. 59-62
Miles to Go, by Daniel Patrick Moynihan
- Miles to Go by Daniel Patrick Moynihan