The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1993 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Panetta's pork barrel... Clinton's thin skin... Reno's bad rap... and other odds and en...
- Tort and Retort: An Exchange, pp. 8-10
Should we make litigants pay for court cases they lose?
- Mr. Break-It, pp. 11-16
The not very reassuring past of Ira Magaziner, the brains behind the Health Care Task F...
- Memo of the Month, p. 17
- Just Say Nonsense, pp. 18-21
Nancy Reagan's drug education programs don't reduce use, but they do waste hundreds of ...
- Wine and Poses, pp. 22-26
How a publicity-smart alcohol industry convinced Bill Clinton, "60 Minutes," and a lot ...
- The Promised Land Grab, pp. 27-29
Israel, the Palestinians, and the politics of state land declarations.
- Mock the Vote, pp. 30-35
What's wrong with MTV's hot new political coverage.
- Who's Who, p. 36
- Gasoline Allies, pp. 37-39
Big Oil's newest monopoly game.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 40
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 41
- Class Dismissed, pp. 42-47
Universities should start caring about how well--and how much--teachers teach.
- What Clinton and Dole Could Learn from the Teamsters, pp. 48-51
A bold idea for reforming the parties: A payroll plan for small donations can curb the ...
- Political Puzzle, p. 52
On Political Books
[+] Vintage Whine (Review) , pp. 53-55
What would Harry Truman think about the thirtysomethings?
- Declining Fortunes by Katherine S. Newman
[+] Broadcast Blues (Review) , pp. 56-59
Why Zbigniew Brzezinski thinks Bart Simpson is a threat to the New World Order.
- Out of Control by Zbigniew Brzezinski
[+] Political Booknotes (Review) , pp. 60-62
Review by Ann O'Hanlon.
- At the Hand of Man by Raymond Bonner
- Cover illustration