The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 1993 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-4
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 5-9
What McNamara got right... What the Post got wrong... What OMB still doesn't know... An...
- Bad Forms, pp. 10-13
Filling out all those health insurance forms isn't just a pain, but a multi-billion dol...
- Money for Nothing, pp. 14-18
The fortune I didn't make in TV's get-rich-quick seminars.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 19-20
- Married with Alibi, pp. 21-22
Zoe Baird, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Geraldine Ferraro, and the politics of husband-blaming.
- Service Charge, pp. 23-25
If Clinton wants to make national service work, he's got to think big and cheap.
- Righting Sentences, pp. 26-29
Jean Harris isn't the only prisoner we could safely let out of jail.
- Brother, Can You Spare My BMW?, pp. 30-33
If Clinton is really an Elvis, why is he giving the yuppies so many breaks?
- Who's Who, p. 34
- Out of House, Out of Mind, pp. 35-37
Fancy chocolates and other goodies taxpayers purchased by contracting with the private ...
- Memo of the Month, p. 38
- The Sleaze in the Statehouses, pp. 39-41
The really toothless lobby laws aren't in Washington; they're in the state legislatures.
- What the Religious Right Can Teach the New Democrats, pp. 42-48
Extremists grab the headlines, but America's evangelicals have a message we all need to...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 49
On Political Books
[+] All About Bob (Review) , pp. 50-51
Why Robert McNamara shares the blame for just about everything.
- Promise and Power by Deborah Shapley
- Political Puzzle, pp. 52-53
[+] Photo Negatives (Review) , pp. 54-57
There's a simple reason why TV campaigns are obsessed with photo-ops: People love them.
- Picture Perfect by Kiku Adatto
[+] Political Booknotes (Review) , pp. 58-62
Review by Jeffrey H. Birnbaum
- The Hollow Core by John P. Heinz, Edward O. Laumann, and Robert L. Nelson, ...
- Cover photograph, design