The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1991 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-10
The chemical-biological-pacifist complex... collegiate con men... five-star foxholes......
- General Failure, pp. 11-18
What the press doesn't tell you about America's military leaders.
- Who's Who, p. 19
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 20
Fine-Tuning the Free Market
- Stock Buybacks: The Corporate Con You're Still Falling For, pp. 21-25
Instead of putting capital into new plants and improved products, America's CEOs had a ...
- Beyond Beauty Schools, pp. 26-31
There are lots of things the government should train the poor to do. Sculpting nails is...
- Kicking the Oil Habit, pp. 32-35
How to get alternative fuel cars on the road. Lots of them. Right now.
- Trivia Pursuit, pp. 36-42
Too much of America's research money goes to studies nobody wants to read.
- The Senate's Lame Doves, pp. 43-45
Why they failed to stop the war.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 46-47
- POLITICAL BOOK AWARD, p. 48
On Political Books
[+] Class Can't Be Dismissed (Review) , pp. 49-50
Before we can solve class problems, we have to recognize they exist.
- The Imperial Middle by Benjamin DeMott
[+] Days of Whine and Poses (Review) , pp. 51-53
John Tower's lament--and what it misses.
- Consequences by John G. Tower
- Political Puzzle, p. 54
[+] Productivity with a Human Face (3 Reviews) , pp. 55-56
Long practiced in Japan, the management ideas of Edward Deming are finally starting to ...
- Man Who Discovered Quality by Andrea Gabor
- Deming Management at Work by Mary Walton
- Dr. Deming by Rafael Aguayo
- Memo of the Month, p. 57
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review The Big Three, by Robin Edmonds (Review) , p. 58
- The Big Three by Robin Edmonds
[+] 2 Reviews The End of Laissez-Faire, by Robert Kuttner (2 Reviews) , p. 59
- The End of Laissez-Faire by Robert Kuttner
- Quicksilver Capital by Richard B. McKenzie and Dwight R. Lee
[+] 2 Reviews The New York Times Book of Science Literacy, b... (2 Reviews) , pp. 60-62
- The New York Times Book of Science Literacy by Richard Flaste
- Science Matters by Robert M. Hazen and James Trefil