The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
February 1990 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
The incompetent interpreters... featherbedding in Nicaragua... Texans for Santa Anna......
- Flying the Unfriendly Skies, pp. 10-12
The benefits of deregulation are almost too numerous to mention: high prices, old plane...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 13-16
- Who's Who, p. 17
- Deductio Ad Absurdum, pp. 18-19
Want a government subsidy of $225,000 a year? Buy a mansion.
- The Worst City Government, pp. 20-21
- So Many Officers, So Little to Do, pp. 22-24
A lieutenant commander should be in charge of a small ship or the weapons on a big one....
- Memo of the Month, pp. 25-27
Making the System Work
- GAP'S In Your Defense, pp. 28-36
Making the government more accountable isn't just a job for the General Accounting Offi...
- Paternalism by the Post or Blackmail by the Blacks?, pp. 37-43
To make The Washington Post a better newspaper, Donald Graham needs to do the same thin...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 44
On Political Books
[+] White House Confidential (Review) , pp. 45-48
The top speechwriter for Reagan and Bush takes you behind her lines.
- What I Saw at the Revolution by Peggy Noonan
[+] Games People Shouldn't Play (Review) , pp. 49-50
State lotteries take from the poor and give to the rich.
- Selling Hope by Charles Clotfelter and Philip J. Cook
[+] English Lessons (Review) , pp. 51-52
For all her faults, Maggie Thatcher has done some good and revolutionary things for Eng...
- The Iron Lady by Hugo Young
[+] Huddled Masses or Elite Classes? (Review) , pp. 53-57
Sure, lifetime earned income and average years of schooling are important. But what eve...
- Friends or Strangers by George J. Borjas
- Political Puzzle, p. 58
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , p. 59
[+] Review Fall from Grace, by Michael d'Antonio (Review) , p. 59
- Fall from Grace by Michael d'Antonio
[+] Review Lifetrends, by Jerry Gerber, Janet Wolff, Walt... (Review) , p. 59
- Lifetrends by Jerry Gerber, Janet Wolff, Walter Klores, and Gene Brown, ...
[+] Review Incident at Howard Beach, by Charles J. Hynes ... (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Incident at Howard Beach by Charles J. Hynes and Bob Drury