The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1989 Issue - 21 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-7
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 8-11
The archeologist's P.R. man... the basketball fix... billable hours in the Bahamas... t...
- What's Wrong With Testing?, pp. 12-16
Except for supressing the talented, protecting incompetents, and making us less product...
- Who's Who, pp. 17-25
- Stop Panicking Over Inflation, pp. 26-27
Why liberals should hate Volcker and Greenspan and love low interest rates.
- Just Take This Medicine, pp. 28-31
The real causes of inflation and the real cures.
- The Juice Ain't No Use, p. 32
Why the death penalty won't work in D.C.
- The Worst City Government, p. 33
- The Case Against Ted Koppel, pp. 34-36
Like most reporters, the king of TV news doesn't understand economics.
- Memo of the Month, pp. 37-40
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 41-42
- Political Puzzle, p. 43
On Political Books
[+] A Tale of Two Hippies (Review) , p. 44
They used to apologize for communist atrocities. Now they apologize for anticommunist a...
- Destructive Generation by Peter Collier and David Horowitz
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 45
[+] The Winds of War (Review) , pp. 46-49
John Mueller says we shouldn't worry about major wars anymore. Don't be too sure.
- Retreat from Doomsday by John Mueller
[+] Bar Wars (Review) , pp. 50-54
Richard Posner, radical feminists, Charles Dickens, and the fight over legal theory.
- Law and Literature by Richard A. Posner
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 55
[+] Review Bird, by Lee Daniel Levine (Review) , p. 55
- Bird by Lee Daniel Levine
[+] Review Fluctuating Fortunes, by David Vogel (Review) , pp. 56-57
- Fluctuating Fortunes by David Vogel
[+] Review Escalante, by Jay Mathews (Review) , p. 58
- Escalante by Jay Mathews
[+] Review The Good Life, by Loren Baritz (Review) , pp. 58-62
- The Good Life by Loren Baritz
- Cover illustration