The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1988 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
The teacher's face lift ... the dirt about the celebrities... the reporter's Mercedes.....
- I Was a Chicago Ward Heeler, pp. 10-16
Tearing down posters, packing press kits, and other campaign adventures.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 17
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 18
Public Interest Groups
- The Best and Worst, pp. 19-26
From lifting up the poor to shaking down the elderly.
- ...One that Should be the Best, But Isn't, pp. 27-33
The ACLU and the right to die in a train wreck.
- Memo of the Month, pp. 34-36
- The Strait of Hommus, pp. 37-39
There's more to the Persian Gulf war than geopolitics. A report from the scene.
- Who's Who, p. 40
Special Political Book Section
- The 18th Annual Book Award, p. 41
- Two Cheers for Tom Wolfe, pp. 42-45
He vanquishes the vanities of the rich, but lacks the courage to say what he admires.
Special Political Book Section--The Democrats: Twenty Years After Rfk
- Stop Pandering to the Middle Class, pp. 46-51
Robert Kuttner should learn it takes more than money to make a good Democrat.
- ...And Start Helping the Underclass, pp. 52-56
What Robert Kennedy could teach today's Democrats.
- Political Puzzle, p. 57
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review Trump: The Art of the Deal, by Donald J. Trump... (Review) , p. 58
- Trump: The Art of the Deal by Donald J. Trump and Tony Schwartz
[+] Review The Strangelove Legacy, by Phyllis La Farge (Review) , p. 59
- The Strangelove Legacy by Phyllis La Farge
[+] Review Rachel and Her Children, by Jonathan Kozol (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Rachel and Her Children by Jonathan Kozol
- Cover photo