The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1986 Issue - 17 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
Frozen snobs... cabbies and cowboys... the Manila Hotel... and other odds and ends....
- Executions Aren't News, pp. 12-21
Why they should be.
- Who's Afraid of the FEC?, pp. 22-26
Many candidates would rather pay a $250 fine than obey the federal election laws.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 27
- The Man Who Would Be Speaker, pp. 28-37
Can't we do better than Jim Wright?
- Selling Out With a Smirk: Lessons from David Letterman, Susan Sontag, and David Byrne, pp. 38-41
The most fashionable form of irony these days is also the least threatening.
- Memo of the Month, p. 42
- Tunnels to Nowhere, pp. 43-49
How New York's subway system dug itself into a billion-dollar hole.
- Who's Who, p. 50
On Political Books
[+] Take the Money and Run (Review) , pp. 51-54
Ken Auletta sets a new standard for business journalism.
- Greed and Glory on Wall Street by Ken Auletta
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 55
- Political Puzzle, p. 56
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , p. 57
[+] Review Mirror of Language, by Kenji Hakuta (Review) , p. 57
- Mirror of Language by Kenji Hakuta
[+] Review The Dream of Deliverance in American Politics,... (Review) , p. 58
- The Dream of Deliverance in American Politics by Mona Harrington
[+] Review Witnesses at the Creation, by Richard B. Morris (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Witnesses at the Creation by Richard B. Morris