The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
November 1985 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
Kids and porn... salaries and senators... computers and chaos... and other odds and end...
- How to Stop Libel Suits and Still Protect Individual Reputation, pp. 12-18
Take the debate out of the courts and demystify the First Amendment.
- Memo of the Month, p. 19
- Life and Death in the Emergency Room, pp. 20-32
We could save thousands of lives, but many hospitals don't want to be told how.
- The Recommendation Racket: Who Do We Think We're Kidding?, pp. 33-36
Welcome to the Twilight Zone where doublespeak reigns and every applicant is a superstar.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 37
- Who's Who, p. 38
- Toxic Chemicals and 18-Wheelers: The Dangers of Deregulation, pp. 39-45
Economic deregulation without tough enforcement of safety rules is a recipe for disaster.
- Political Puzzle, p. 46
- The 'Big Trade-Off' Debunked: The Efficiency of a Fair Economy, pp. 47-54
A strategy that makes no one feel like a sucker.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 55-56
[+] Political Booknotes (7 Reviews) , p. 57
[+] Review Ronnie and Nancy, by Bill Adler (Review) , p. 57
- Ronnie and Nancy by Bill Adler
[+] Review Education's Smoking Gun, by Reginald Damerell (Review) , p. 57
- Education's Smoking Gun by Reginald Damerell
[+] Review Secret Contenders, by Melvin Beck (Review) , p. 58
- Secret Contenders by Melvin Beck
[+] Review Amway, by Stephen Butterfield (Review) , p. 58
- Amway by Stephen Butterfield
[+] Review Germany Today, by Walter Laqueur (Review) , p. 58
- Germany Today by Walter Laqueur
[+] Review Iran Under the Ayatollahs, by Dilip Hiro (Review) , p. 59
- Iran Under the Ayatollahs by Dilip Hiro
[+] Review Competent Counsel, by Denise Shekerjian (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Competent Counsel by Denise Shekerjian