The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1985 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-2
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 3-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-10
The virtues of jock journalism... suing American Express... and other odds and ends....
- Who's Who, p. 11
- The Fall of the Idea of Thrift, pp. 12-22
The merchandisers and the liberal intellectuals overthrew it. Now Reagan is trying to b...
- Why Regulators Need a Don't-Do-It-If-It's-Stupid Clause, pp. 23-26
Ruling out good intentions in Minnesota.
- Memo of the Month, p. 27
- What the Democrats Can Learn from Jack Kemp, pp. 28-42
You don't have to be a supply-sider to appreciate the importance of aspiration and hope.
- Political Puzzle, p. 43
- From Chokoloskee Chicken to Panama Red: Florida's Love Affair with Larceny, pp. 44-51
First it was shady land deals and moonshine. Now it's drugs. Why the law can't stop them.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 52-53
On Political Books
[+] The Case Against Reform (Review) , p. 54
How Common Cause led the Democrats away from politics.
- Common Cause by Andrew S. McFarland
[+] A Mil-Symp Takes on the Pentagon (Review) , p. 55
John Lehman, the jig is up.
- The Pentagon and the Art of War by Edward N. Luttwak
[+] Why I Like Ike (Review) , p. 56
Maybe he didn't push for civil rights. But no president since has understood the Pentag...
- Eisenhower, Vol. II by Stephen E. Ambrose
[+] Redistributing Misery (Review) , pp. 57-58
Two cheers for a "share economy."
- The Share Economy by Martin L. Weitzman
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 59
[+] Review The Interferon Crusade, by Sandra Panem (Review) , p. 59
- The Interferon Crusade by Sandra Panem
[+] Review The Policy Game, by Peter Navarro (Review) , p. 59
- The Policy Game by Peter Navarro
[+] Review The Lost Soul of American Politics, by John Pa... (Review) , p. 60
- The Lost Soul of American Politics by John Patrick Diggins
[+] Review Beyond Liberal and Conservative, by William S.... (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Beyond Liberal and Conservative by William S. Maddox and Stuart A. Lilie
- Cover illustration