The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 1985 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
The British civil servant who revealed the truth... movies at the French embassy... sel...
- Exporting Idealism: The Right Kind of Intervention, pp. 12-23
More political involvement now can mean less military involvement later.
- The Caucus-Happy Democrats, pp. 24-30
They care too much about party turf battles and not enough about winning elections.
- Memo of the Month, p. 31
- Colonels in Every Corner, pp. 32-42
Overpopulation at the Pentagon.
- Splitting the Difference: I Negotiated Contracts for the United States Navy, pp. 43-47
And I had never even seen a destroyer.
- How They Write the SAT, pp. 48-52
It isn't a science. It isn't even an art.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 53
- Political Puzzle, pp. 53-54
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 55
- Who's Who, p. 56
[+] Political Booknotes (7 Reviews) , p. 57
[+] Review Breaking With Moscow, by Arkady N. Shevchenko (Review) , p. 57
- Breaking With Moscow by Arkady N. Shevchenko
[+] Review Sex and Money, by John Spooner (Review) , p. 57
- Sex and Money by John Spooner
[+] Review Pricing the Priceless Child, by Viviana A. Zel... (Review) , p. 58
- Pricing the Priceless Child by Viviana A. Zelizer
[+] Review The Chip, by T.R. Reid (Review) , p. 58
- The Chip by T.R. Reid
[+] Review The Rise and Fall of New York City, by Roger S... (Review) , p. 59
- The Rise and Fall of New York City by Roger Starr
[+] Review Playing God in the Nursery, by Jeff Lyon (Review) , p. 60
- Playing God in the Nursery by Jeff Lyon
[+] Review Precinct 19, by Thomas Larry Adcock (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Precinct 19 by Thomas Larry Adcock