The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1983 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Scuba wars in New York... Rotarians in Grenada... and other odds and ends...
- A Neoliberal's Manifesto, pp. 8-18
Community, Prosperity, Democracy: A platform for the future.
- Memo of the Month, p. 19
- Soldiers of Good Fortune, pp. 20-28
They're not leaving today's military -- they're trying to get in.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 29-31
- Lowest Common Denominator Lobbying: Why the Banks Fought Withholding, pp. 32-38
When they cater to their worst members, Washington lobbies can do the most damage.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 39
- Advise and Forget, pp. 40-46
The federal government has more than 1,000 advisory commissions. Try to name three.
- Who's Who, p. 47
- Bureaucracy and the Bomb: The Hidden Factor Behind Nuclear Madness, pp. 48-56
How the Navy and the Air Force have pursued their own version of Mutual Assured Destruc...
- Political Puzzle, p. 57
[+] Political Booknotes (8 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review America Wants to Know, by George Gallup (Review) , p. 58
- America Wants to Know by George Gallup
[+] Review The Confidence Gap, by Seymour Martin Lipset a... (Review) , p. 58
- The Confidence Gap by Seymour Martin Lipset and William Schneider
[+] Review Deduct This Book, by Peter J. Segall (Review) , p. 58
- Deduct This Book by Peter J. Segall
[+] Review Distant Water, by William W. Warner (Review) , p. 58
- Distant Water by William W. Warner
[+] Review The Good Years, by Caroline Bird (Review) , p. 58
- The Good Years by Caroline Bird
[+] Review New Force on the Left, by John H. Bunzel (Review) , pp. 58-59
- New Force on the Left by John H. Bunzel
[+] Review Risk by Choice, by W. Kip Viscusi (Review) , p. 60
- Risk by Choice by W. Kip Viscusi
[+] Review The Next American Frontier, by Robert B. Reich (Review) , pp. 60-62
- The Next American Frontier by Robert B. Reich