The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1982 Issue - 27 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-12
Oenophilia at the White House... Orthopedists on the stand... and other odds and ends.
- The Day They Stop Returning Your Phone Calls, pp. 13-19
Fear and trembling in the middle ranks of the Reagan White House.
- Language Barriers, pp. 20-25
When it comes to conspicious consumption, Proper Usage has become the new coin of the r...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 26
"Budget Impasse Snarls Congress, White House."
- All-Purpose Budget Story, Vol. II, p. 27
- Sam Nunn: Can He Escape The Respectability Trap?, pp. 28-34
The strengths and weaknesses of the U.S. senator destined to dominate the defense debat...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 35-37
- Bring Back the WPA, pp. 38-47
How we can pay for it--and why we can't afford not to.
- The Road to Ruin, pp. 48-51
A dispatch from the front lines in one city's losing war against potholes.
- Who's Who, pp. 52-53
- Memo of the Month, pp. 54-55
- Where to Stay in Washington, pp. 56-57
- Political Puzzle, p. 58
[+] Political Booknotes (12 Reviews) , p. 59
[+] Review America the Poisoned, by Lewis Regenstein (Review) , p. 59
- America the Poisoned by Lewis Regenstein
[+] Review The Day Is Short, by Morris Abram (Review) , p. 59
- The Day Is Short by Morris Abram
[+] Review Earl Warren: A Public Life, by G. Edward White (Review) , p. 59
- Earl Warren: A Public Life by G. Edward White
[+] Review Haig: The General's Progress, by Roger Morris (Review) , p. 59
- Haig: The General's Progress by Roger Morris
[+] Review Jerry Wurf, by Joseph Goulden (Review) , p. 59
- Jerry Wurf by Joseph Goulden
[+] Review The Murder of Chile, by Samuel Chavkin (Review) , p. 60
- The Murder of Chile by Samuel Chavkin
[+] Review The Paideia Proposal, by Mortimer J. Adler (Review) , p. 60
- The Paideia Proposal by Mortimer J. Adler
[+] Review The Palestinians in Perspective, by George E. ... (Review) , p. 60
- The Palestinians in Perspective by George E. Gruen
[+] Review The Passive Judiciary, by Abraham S. Goldstein (Review) , p. 60
- The Passive Judiciary by Abraham S. Goldstein
[+] Review Privatizing the Public Sector, by Emanuel S. S... (Review) , p. 61
- Privatizing the Public Sector by Emanuel S. Savas
[+] Review Tax Revolt, by David O. Sears and Jack Citrin (Review) , p. 61
- Tax Revolt by David O. Sears and Jack Citrin
[+] Review When Governments Collide, by Wallace J. Thies (Review) , pp. 61-62
- When Governments Collide by Wallace J. Thies
- Cover painting detail