The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1974 Issue - 12 Articles
- Mary Mccarthy- The Blinders She Wears, pp. 5-17
In her brief career as a political reporter she has mastered all the self-limiting tric...
- Memo of the Month, p. 18
- Why Price Controls Stopped Working, pp. 19-27
They worked in World War II. They seemed to work during Phase I. The gnome of Pennsylva...
- Political Puzzle, p. 28
- .. . Where They're Still Needed, pp. 29-37
For once The Washington Post and Richard Nixon are on the same side, and they're both w...
- We Try to Use Dictatorial Powers Only as a Last Resort, pp. 38-42
We say we have a government of laws, not men. But the man with the wrecking ball is bey...
Three Ways to Increase Security-and Save Money Too
- Shooting at Empty Silos, pp. 43-47
Counterforce becomes counterfarce once the other side has fired.
- 7,000 Toys for the Generals, p. 48
When the Army has more atomic bombs lying around in Europe than stable 2nd lieutenants ...
- An Island Paradise for the Admirals, pp. 49-51
A new way to overcome our inability to get into wars in the Indian Ocean. Lake Titicaca...
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 52-53
- The Rehnquist Recuse: Judging Your Own Case, pp. 54-62
When Justice Rehnquist was a government lawyer, he argued that there was nothing wrong ...
[+] Political Book Notes (7 Reviews) , pp. 63-66
Captive Capital, by Sam Smith
- Captive Capital by Sam Smith
- The Curve of Binding Energy by John A. McPhee
- Democracy and Its Discontents by Daniel J. Boorstin
- How True by Thomas Griffith
- Journey Among the Economists by Arrigo Levi
- Judges by Donald Dale Jackson
- Executive Privilege: A Constitutional Myth by Raoul Berger