The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
July 1973 Issue - 14 Articles
- Letters, pp. 5-6
- Why the White House Press Didn't Get the Watergate Story, pp. 7-15
A highly paid and able group of journalists failed to get a glimmer of the political st...
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 16-17
- Civility, Community, Humor: The Conservatism We Need, pp. 18-32
There are better elements in the conservative tradition than the defense of wealth and ...
The Screwing of the Average Man
- How Your Banker Does It, pp. 33-39
The spirit of Jesse James lives on, but in a three-piece suit on the other side of the ...
- Memo of the Month, p. 40
- How He Got to Do It: Bank Charters, pp. 41-47
Bankers aren't made, they're anointed. A glimpse at how charter members of this aristoc...
- A Democratic Vassal in King Richard's Civil Service, pp. 48-56
Even the lower rungs of the bureaucracy have felt the effects of the Administration's d...
- Making It' Revisited: Nader, Podhoretz, and Morris, pp. 57-65
Artists aren't the only ones whose integrity suffers when they pass a certain point on ...
- What Happens When America Runs Out of Leftovers, pp. 66-71
The Food for Peace program used to let us look good while doing good. Now it's going t...
- Grumman Couldn't Bear It: The F-14 Story, pp. 72-79
The Navy's secret plan for peace-- a fighter plane that won't fly.
- Beyond Boredom- A Look at What's New on the Assembly Line, pp. 80-92
Much has been written about what's wrong with work and what should be done about it. An...
[+] Political Book Notes (12 Reviews) , pp. 93-95
Architecture for the Poor, by Hassan Fathy
- Architecture for the Poor by Hassan Fathy
- Federal Housing Subsidies by Anthony Downs
- Corporate Power and Social Responsibility by Neil H. Jacoby
- The Dance of Legislation by Eric Redman
- The Briar Patch by Murray Kempton
- The Living Presidency by Emmet John Hughes
- Death at Buffalo Creek by Tom Nugent
- The Deceived Majority by Gordon Fellman and Barbara Brandt
- Longtime Californ' by Victor G. Nee and Brett De Bary Nee
- The Fractured Family by Leontine R. Young
- The Sovereign State of ITT by Anthony Sampson
- Ward 402 by Ronald J. Glasser
- The Political Puzzle, pp. 96-98