The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1972 Issue - 10 Articles
- Letters, pp. 5-9
- Let Them Eat Bombs, pp. 10-16
For the villagers of Laos, American protection from the Pathet Lao brought first the de...
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 17-18
- The Space Shuttle: Who Needs It?, pp. 19-23
The Apollo program was designed to get NASA to the moon. The space shuttle was designed...
- The FBI's Big Brother Computer, pp. 24-30
While Congress looks the other way, the FBI is at last compiling the national data bank...
- Memo of the Month, p. 31
- Why Lowenstein Lost: Ethnics, Crooks, and Carpetbaggers, pp. 32-38
Al Lowenstein probably could have forgotten the white ethnics and won John Rooney's con...
[+] The Dark Side of Two American Dreams (2 Reviews) , pp. 39-42
A perennially moving population is destroying community life. Lawrence Fuchs looks at w...
- A Nation of Strangers by Vance Packard
- Family Matters by Lawrence H. Fuchs
- The Political Puzzle, pp. 43-44
[+] Political Book Notes (22 Reviews) , pp. 45-50
America is Hard to Find, by Daniel Berrigan
- America is Hard to Find by Daniel Berrigan
- Both Your Houses by Warren Weaver
- Civil Disobedience by William S. Coffin, Jr. and Morris I. Leibman
- A Continuous Harmony by Wendell Berry
- The Darkening Land by William F. Longgood
- The Dream and the Deal by Jerre Mangione
- The Economics of Environmental Quality by James C. Hite, Hugh H. Macaulay, and James M. Stepp, ...
- The Education of a Congressman by Morris K. Udall
- The Hidden Injuries of Class by Richard Sennett and Jonathan Cobb
- Inside America by Fred Kwesi Hayford
- The Kidner Report by John Kidner
- Lippmann, Liberty and the Press by John Luskin
- The Making of a Slum by Michael Dorman
- George F. Kennan by George Frost Kennan
- New Era in the Pacific by John Hohenberg
- Political Power and the Press by William J. Small
- Prison by Leonard J. Berry
- This Way Out by John Coyne and Tom Hebert
- U.S. Health Care by Stephen P. Strickland
- When in Doubt, Mumble by James H. Boren
- Working Through by Leonard Kriegel
- When Parochial Schools Close by Martin Alfred Larson