The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1972 Issue - 12 Articles
- Letters, pp. 4-7
- Our Bombs Fall on People, pp. 8-10
"The results of the bombing were not as successful as hoped."
- Social Security: The Poor Man's Welfare Payment to the Middle Class, pp. 11-17
Why we should abolish a program where compulsory is voluntary and little is much.
- Memo of the Month, p. 18
- The Pittston Mentality: Manslaughter on Buffalo Creek, pp. 19-28
The company blames God. We blame the company.
- The Macleish Memorandum on the National Debt, pp. 29-39
The text of the secret proposal to cancel the national debt. Who will be hurt, who will...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 40
- The Day They Shut Down Birmingham, pp. 41-51
The way the government enforced its emergency pollution rules for the first time makes ...
- The Emerging Mcgovern Majority, p. 52
An early head count shows that McGovern will lead on the first ballot in Miami.
- Nixon and His Staff: The View from Their Own Mirror, pp. 53-59
A review of Catch the Falling Flag, by Richard Whalen, and Courage and Hesitation, by A...
- The Political Puzzle, p. 60
[+] Political Book Notes (13 Reviews) , pp. 61-66
Afternoon on the Potomac?, by Roy Jenkins
- Afternoon on the Potomac? by Roy Jenkins
- Concentration Camps USA by Roger Daniels
- The Death of the Army by Edward L. King
- The Drug Hang-up by Rufus King
- The Education of Edward Kennedy by Burton Hersh
- The Fifth World of Forster Bennett by Vincent Crapanzano
- The Great Drug Deception by Ralph Adam Fine
- In Defense of Earth by Lynton K. Caldwell
- The Papers and the Papers by Sanford J. Ungar
- The Party of Eros by Richard King
- Paternalistic Capitalism by Andreas G. Papandreou
- Things To Come by Herman Kahn and Barry Bruce-Briggs
- What Makes Spiro Run? by Joseph Albright