The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1972 Issue - 10 Articles
- The Folding of Fred Harris, pp. 4-13
Poverty alone did not cause the populist to surrender. What Harris should have learned ...
- Memo of the Month, p. 14
- Finding the Facts Bureaucrats Hide, pp. 15-27
The Freedom of Information Act was designed to make Ellsbergs obsolete, but it is no ma...
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 28-29
- The Political Puzzle, p. 30
The Culture of Bureaucracy
- Nothing Fails Like Success, pp. 31-35
Twenty-three months and eight agencies later, Mrs. Reed discovered that the only thing...
- The Billions in The White House Basement, pp. 36-51
Like a humored child, Congress still believes it holds the power of the purse. But the ...
- Jobs: Get 'Em Where They Ain't, pp. 52-54
The government is training and straining for jobs that won't be there.
- Why Mayors Go Nowhere, pp. 55-61
City chiefs, including John Lindsay, might as well stay home.
[+] Political Book Notes (21 Reviews) , pp. 62-66
America Encounters India, 1941-1947, by Gary R. Hess
- America Encounters India, 1941-1947 by Gary R. Hess
- American City Planning Since 1890 by Mellier Goodin Scott
- The Atrocity of Education by Arthur Pearl
- Cold War and Counterrevolution by Richard J. Walton
- The Ecology of the Public Schools by Leonard J. Fein
- Economic Imperialism by Kenneth E. Boulding and Tapan Mukerjee
- Equal Justice by Arthur J. Goldberg
- Essence of Decision by Graham T. Allison
- The Forging of the American Empire by Sidney Lens
- The Future of Indochina by Joseph Zasloff and Allan Goodman
- Games Nations Play by John W. Spanier
- Letters From Attica by Samuel Melville
- The Politics of Consumer Protection by Mark V. Nadel
- Professor Reinhold Niebuhr by Ronald H. Stone
- Report From Engine Company 82 by Dennis Smith
- The Rise of Teamster Power in the West by Donald Garnel
- Student Activism by Alexander DeConde
- The Theory of Public Choice by James M. Buchanan and Robert D. Tollison
- Transnational Relations and World Politics by Robert Keohane and Joseph S. Nye, Jr.
- The Young Die Quietly by Whitney North Seymour
- Your Money or Your Life by Richard Kunnes