The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
July 1971 Issue - 10 Articles
- Letters, p. 2
- The Case Against Foundations, pp. 3-18
Foundations live on nostalgia, tax breaks, and the illusion that they are socially inn...
- Publishing Conglomerated: When Profits Become Censor, pp. 19-26
Conglomerates have devoured the most independent industry in the country. What happens...
- Memo of the Month, p. 27
- The Wild Blue Yonder Over Laos, pp. 28-44
An automated war that drops 200,000 pounds of bombs an hour on civilians in Indochina a...
- The Vested Oracles: How Industry Regulates Government, pp. 45-53
The government's Industry Advisory Committees do much more than advise.
- The Rise of the Small State, pp. 54-55
Senators from small states have a better chance of reelection, an advantage that spells...
- Muskie: A Sketch From the Inside, pp. 56-62
Abraham Lincoln changed as president. That is our only hope for Muskie, says a former s...
- Political Puzzle, p. 63
[+] Book Notes (4 Reviews) , pp. 64-66
A Citizen's Guide to Legal Rights, by J. Shane Creamer
- A Citizen's Guide to Legal Rights by J. Shane Creamer
- The Court-Martial of Lt. Calley by Richard Hammer
- The Politics of City Revenue by Arnold J. Meltsner
- The Radical Left and American Foreign Policy by Robert W. Tucker