The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1970 Issue - 11 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
To Grow Or Not to Grow: Pollution and Poverty
- Running Against Growth in Hawaii, pp. 4-11
Thomas Gill is running for governor this year--against the tourist boom. And he may win.
- The Political Puzzle, p. 12
- Congress and Pollution: The Gentleman's Agreement, pp. 13-20
The structure of Congress and its members' fear of the growth establishment guarantee ...
- The New Agrarians, pp. 21-27
The life of an old Georgia farm hand is an argument against the new agrarians.
- The Ritual of Wiggle: From Ruin to Reelection, pp. 28-44
The disgraced Congressman may squirm for awhile, but he soon laughs again if he follows...
The Harvard Brain Trust
- Eating Lunch at Henry's - Eating Crow at Mike's, pp. 45-51
The Cambridge 13 bid farewell to their old colleague, Henry Kissinger, and take up rel...
- The Kids Will Be More Than Just Younger, pp. 52-53
If 18-year-olds vote in 1972, the new voters will make up one-fifth of the electorate. ...
- Israel's Peril: Our Military-Industrial Bubble, pp. 54-57
We have little or nothing of military use to Israel--one of the ironies of the military...
- Memo of the Month, pp. 58-59
The Culture of Bureaucracy
- Clots in the System, pp. 60-66
Blood planning moves slowly, if at all, through the hardened arteries of HEW.