The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1970 Issue - 10 Articles
- Letters, pp. 4-5
- Up Against the Barbecue: Smithtown Middle America, pp. 6-16
People are confused, bitter and afraid in Smithtown, Long Island. An invisible enemy th...
- The Floating Plantation, pp. 17-20
How the Navy floats on Filipino labor.
- Memo of the Month, p. 21
- Richard Nixon, the Last Liberal, pp. 22-33
Richard Nixon embodies the liberal values that have built America on Horatio Alger's sh...
- Civil Defense: The Case for Nuclear War, pp. 34-46
A nuclear attack on the U.S. would have its advantages. Civil Defense planners, and man...
- Superman, Our Textbook President, pp. 47-54
Our textbooks both further and reflect the popular myth that Presidents are all-powerfu...
- Views of the Press: The Sell-Out of the Pulitzer Prize, pp. 55-60
Noted columnists and newspapers saw truth in the Pentagon press releases and propaganda...
[+] Book Review (Review) , pp. 61-64
Out of the sterile, suburban paradise comes expansive man--the over-30, inspired, cultu...
- The Radical Suburb by John Berk Orr and F. Patrick Nichelson
- The Political Puzzle, pp. 65-66