The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
July 1969 Issue - 12 Articles
- Letters, p. 4
- Kenya and Tanzania: Developmental Contrast, pp. 5-12
A former aide to Robert Kennedy examines two models of development in East Africa and o...
- Obiter Dicta, p. 13
1. Congressman Stubblefield on tobacco. 2. Senator Fulbright on dissent.
- Behind the Scenes and Under the Rug, pp. 14-22
The Douglas Commission's life and hard times. Starring: the American city. Featuring: P...
The Culture of Bureaucracy
- The Cost of Cowardice: Silence in the Foreign Service, pp. 23-29
What happens when good men (Foreign Service Officers) don't speak up. Why they don't.
- The Cost of Courage: The Loneliest Man in the Pentagon, pp. 30-34
What happens when a good man (A. E. Fitzgerald) speaks up. Why he did.
- Crossed Wires: Cable TV and the Public Interest, pp. 35-47
Cable television, and its promise of diversity for the viewer, raises complex questions...
- Memo of the Month, pp. 48-49
If he hollers, let him go.
- The Committee Revisited, pp. 50-54
The debut of the new House Internal Security Committee (nee Un-American Activities), as...
[+] Pounding the Pavement (Review) , pp. 55-57
Road to Ruin, by A.Q. Mowbray
- Road to Ruin by A.Q. Mowbray
[+] The Arms of Kuss (Review) , pp. 58-61
The War Business, by George Thayer
- The War Business by George Thayer
[+] Up the Spleenwort (Review) , pp. 62-64
America the Raped, by Gene Marine
- America the Raped by Gene Marine