The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
January 20, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- Comment: Chip Thrills, pp. 7-9
The V-chip: a little beside the point
- The Mail, pp. 10-13
Peterson vs. Cassidy on Social Security
- Goings On About Town, pp. 14-40
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 41-43
A congressman's first day; to be in New York; etc.
- Letter from Rwanda: The Return, pp. 44-54
A woman says that her neighbor, one of a million exiles, killed her family. And now he ...
- Annals of Show Business: I Played the Apollo, pp. 55-59
How the author escaped the hook on Harlem's legendary Amateur Night
[+] Life and Letters: Citizen Kay (Review) , pp. 60-67
After a very politic career spent running the Washington Post, Katharine Graham has cho...
- Personal History by Katharine Graham
- Showcase: David Levinthal, pp. 68-71
- A Reporter at Large: The Unquiet Ship, pp. 72-77
What happened on board the freighter Dubai which turned its stowaways into castaways?
- At the Museums: Edvard Munch, pp. 78-79
- "Fall in New England", pp. 80-81
- Fiction: "Another Way to Die", pp. 82-89
The last days of the Japanese in Manchuria
- The Theatre, pp. 90-92
- A Critic at Large, pp. 93-96
Is plagiarism always bad?
[+] Books (5 Reviews) , p. 97
- My Dark Places by James Ellroy
- Chasing the Sun by Jonathon Green
- The Invisibles by Zia Jaffrey
- Taking Measures Across the American Landscape by James Corner and Alex S. MacLean
- The Fire Fetched Down by George Bradley
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 98-99
- La Ceremonie (1996 Film) by Claude Chabrol
- Marvin's Room (1996 Film) by Jerry Zaks
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 100-102
Dishing It Out
- Cover: Disturbing the Peace