The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
March 18, 1996 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: The Twilight War, pp. 9-11
The real danger that the bombings pose to Israel
- In the Mail, pp. 12-13
- Goings On About Town, pp. 14-36
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 37-41
Republican road show; the last emperor and J.P. Morgan; etc.
- Annals of Communications: The News Rush, pp. 42-58
Why does every network now want its own CNN?
- Paris Journal: The Virtual Bishop, pp. 59-63
The French find a new way to be subversive
- A Reporter at Large: A Death for Dixie, pp. 64-69
A teen-ager was killed because of the Confederate flag on his pickup. And a new rightis...
- Showcase: Ellen DeGeneres, pp. 70-75
- "Where Did I Leave Off?", pp. 76-77
- Fact and Fiction: The Queen's Touch, pp. 78-85
Dinner with Elizabeth II--and her husband
- Profile: The Negotiator, pp. 86-89
The Administration's toughest trade assignment is to get Beijing to obey the law---and ...
- "Now You Need Me", pp. 90-97
- The Art World, pp. 98-101
A David Hockney retrospective
[+] A Red Death (Review) , pp. 102-105
The Aldo Moro Murder Case, by Richard Drake
- The Aldo Moro Murder Case by Richard Drake
[+] Beetlemania (Review) , pp. 106-107
Still Life with Volkswagens, by Geoff Nicholson
- Still Life with Volkswagens by Geoff Nicholson
[+] Briefly Noted (5 Reviews) , p. 108
Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
- The Brimstone Wedding by Barbara Vine
- Autopsy on an Empire by Jack F. Matlock, Jr.
- Genius Talk by Denis Brian
- Love, Loss, and What I Wore by Ilene Beckerman
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 109-112
- The Birdcage (1996 Film) by Mike Nichols
- From the Journals of Jean Seberg (1996 Film) by Mark Rappaport
- Musical Events, pp. 113-115
"La Forza del Destino," "Cosi Fan Tutte"
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 116-118
- Cover: Lion and Lamb