The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
February 26, 1996 Issue - 33 Articles
- Comment: Sister Acts, pp. 11-15
Ambivalence and audacity in the women's movement
- Goings On About Town, pp. 16-52
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 53-55
A congresswoman waffles; my husband's first wife; the new woman at Disney; etc.
- "Revenge of the Ex-Mistress", pp. 56-57
- Dept. of Disputation: Devil Women, pp. 58-64
Is there anything a poor woman cannot be blamed for?
- Domestic Life: Mom Overboard!, p. 65
What happens when a high-powered professional decides that she'd rather stay home and m...
- "One Ordinary Evening", pp. 66-75
- Personal History: Sin Big, pp. 76-87
The woman known as the eminence terrible of religious feminists fires off more fighting...
- Life and Letters: The Angry Divide, pp. 88-89
Why the poem turned away from writing
- "Ladies' Luncheon", pp. 90-93
- Annals of Appearances: My Best White Friend, pp. 94-97
Primping for a night out reveals different ways of interpreting the Cinderella story
- Personal History: Unlikely Obsession, pp. 98-115
A long-concealed desire confronted
- A Reporter at Large: Hating Hillary, pp. 116-121
Bad-mouthing the First Lady is a new national pastime, but why are so many prominent wo...
- Showcase: Running Free, pp. 122-129
Mark Danner on an athlete's trials
- "A Kiss", pp. 130-133
- Dept. of Amplification: With Respect to Roseann, pp. 134-135
How the comedienne gets herself---and The New Yorker---into so much trouble
- Personal History: The Invisible Woman, pp. 136-141
When the author learned that a Moroccan village and the Upper East Side weren't so very...
- Makeovers: Royal Flesh, pp. 142-147
The Princess of Wales exercises the body politic
- Letter from Las Vegas: How the Maids Fought Back, pp. 148-149
The women who keep the town clean struggled for union protection. Now they're fighting ...
- "Flirtation, July, 1953", pp. 150-155
- Showcase: Dance Class, pp. 156-157
- Annals of Crime: Broken Sentences, pp. 158-163
Unfettered words from women in prison
- Onward and Upward With the Arts: Is the Muse Dead?, pp. 164-169
What's so terrible about being a great man's inspiration?
- Portfolio: Faces of Abuse, pp. 170-171
- Life and Letters: Lady with a Pencil, pp. 172-173
What would a perfect male-female working collaboration be? A lot like that of Katharine...
- Office Politics: The Home Front, pp. 174-175
Notes on being a female reporter at this magazine fifty years ago
- Sketchbook: How to Enjoy the Battle of the Sexes, pp. 176-185
An appearance by the underground-art collective
- Medical Notes: The Third Age, pp. 186-191
At a certain point, a woman may find that men stop looking at her and start listening t...
- Fashion Statement: Why High Heels?, pp. 192-193
- Medical Notes: The Wandering Womb, pp. 194-195
And you thought your gynecologist was bad
- Annals of Sisterhood: Don't Tell Mother, pp. 196-199
The best things about having a big sister
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 200-202
- Cover: Eustacia Tilley