The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
October 30, 1995 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: Labor Pains, pp. 7-9
Unexpected signs of life in the trade-union movement
- In the Mail, pp. 10-11
- Goings On About Town, pp. 12-32
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 33-45
Black is back; courting by James Salter; translating Selena's music; orators rate Louis...
- The Political Scene: The Pete Principle, pp. 46-51
California and the G.O.P. learn that Pete Wilson is no Ronald Reagan
- Life and Letters: Kingsley's Ransom, pp. 52-57
Why have the British turned on Kingsley Amis?
- Around the White House: Lonely Guy, pp. 58-61
Is alienating friends the way to get reelected?
- "Guardians", pp. 62-63
- A Reporter at Large: The Money Shot, pp. 64-70
Once, women went to Hollywood and would do anything to be a star. Now men go to the Val...
- Sketchbook: Million Man March, pp. 71-75
- Easel: Benton Downton, pp. 76-87
- Onward and Upward with the Arts: King Tap, pp. 88-90
At twenty-one, Savion Glover is already better than Bojangles
- "Riverside Park", pp. 91-93
- Fiction: "The Piano Tuner's Wives", pp. 94-103
Two women hear very different music
[+] Books: Such a Sucker as Me (Review) , pp. 104-108
Abraham Lincoln, by David Herbert Donald
- Abraham Lincoln by David Herbert Donald
[+] Reds Scared (Review) , pp. 109-111
The Solzhenitsyn Files, by Michael Scammell and Catherine A. Fitzpatrick, ...
- The Solzhenitsyn Files by Michael Scammell and Catherine A. Fitzpatrick, ...
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 112-114
- Mighty Aphrodite (1995 Film) by Woody Allen
- The Scarlet Letter (1995 Film) by Roland Joffe
- Musical Events, pp. 115-117
New works by Elliott Carter
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 118-120
- Cover: Hell on Wheels