The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
May 1, 1995 Issue - 23 Articles
- Comment: The Flat Tax Society, pp. 7-9
The real beneficiaries aren't who they're supposed to be
- In the Mail, pp. 10-11
- Goings On About Town, pp. 12-28
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 29-32
Newt Gingrich's networking; the Burns brothers' takes; the power of positive thinking; ...
- Dept. of Second Thoughts: Loury's Exodus, pp. 33-39
Glenn Loury's troubled private life belied his public role as a star of the Reagan righ...
- "At Dusk", pp. 40-41
- Popular Chronicles: Short Cuts, pp. 42-49
Confiding in your hairdresser becomes the art of open debate at Robert Stuart's Upper W...
- A Reporter at Large: Explaining Hitler, pp. 50-53
In the years since Hitler's death, the experts have offered theories that reveal a lot ...
- "A Wood in the Rhineland: October, 1944", pp. 54-60
- "Marriages", pp. 61-66
- "Zea", pp. 67-69
- Letter from Berchtesgaden: Beauty and the Beast, pp. 70-73
In 1945, the author reported from the wreckage of Hitler's Bavarian retreat. For the fi...
- Fiction: "The Target Audience", pp. 74-79
[+] Books: Carry That Weight (2 Reviews) , pp. 80-82
A Day in the Life, by Mark Hertsgaard
- A Day in the Life by Mark Hertsgaard
- Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald
- "Victim Song", pp. 83-84
[+] The Stripper and the Swan (Review) , pp. 85-86
The Look of Things, by Henri Cole
- The Look of Things by Henri Cole
[+] Recommended Reading (4 Reviews) , p. 87
Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light, by Ivan Klima
- Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light by Ivan Klima
- Age of Consent by Geoffrey Wolff
- The Commodore by Patrick O'Brian
- Jasmine Nights by S.P. Somtow
- Musical Events, pp. 88-90
Pierre Boulez at seventy
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , p. 91
- Crumb (1994 Film) by Terry Zwigoff
- Kiss of Death (1995 Film) by Barbet Schroeder
- "The Harbor", pp. 92-93
- On Television, pp. 94-95
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 96-98
- Cover: Play Ball!