The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
March 13, 1995 Issue - 20 Articles
[+] Comment: Two Dreams (2 Reviews) , pp. 6-7
Why did the Academy Gump on "Hoop Dreams"?
- Hoop Dreams (1994 Film) by Steve James
- Forrest Gump (1994 Film) by Robert Zemeckis
- In the Mail, pp. 8-11
- Goings On About Town, pp. 12-34
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 35-39
Really serious money; Greg Louganis's fans; Frank Lloyd Wright's last victory; Tony Kus...
- Letter from Mexico: The Unmasking, pp. 40-47
With thousands of troops in Chiapas, the government tries to save face in its battle wi...
- Our Local Correspondents: Shake Them Bones, pp. 48-67
The Museum of Natural History's new president, Ellen Futter, is determined to keep it o...
- Brave New World Dept.: The Biology of Violence, pp. 68-76
The new Darwinians weigh in on the poverty-versus-Prozac debate over inner-city violenc...
- "Morning After a Blizzard", p. 77
- Profile: Realms of Wonder, pp. 78-81
Stevie Wonder, as both his fans and Motown know, is a difficult man to predict. Suddenl...
- "Looking West from Laguna Beach at Night," "Looking Again at What I Looked at for Seventeen Years", pp. 82-87
- The Art World: American Diasporist, pp. 88-91
R.B. Kitaj at the Met and the Marlborough Gallery
- Fiction: "The World of Ideas", pp. 92-98
[+] Child's Play (Review) , pp. 99-102
Mozart: A Life, by Maynard Solomon
- Mozart: A Life by Maynard Solomon
[+] Down by Laws (Review) , pp. 103-105
The Death of Common Sense, by Philip K. Howard
- The Death of Common Sense by Philip K. Howard
[+] Recommended Reading (4 Reviews) , p. 106
Come and Go, Molly Snow, by Mary Ann Taylor-Hall
- Come and Go, Molly Snow by Mary Ann Taylor-Hall
- Transforming Paris by David P. Jordan
- Erskine Caldwell: The Journey from Tobacco Road by Dan B. Miller
- Out of Egypt: A Memoir by Andre Aciman
- Musical Events, pp. 107-108
The Kronos Quartet at BAM
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 109-111
- Before the Rain (1994 Film) by Milcho Manchevski
- The Quick and the Dead (1995 Film) by Sam Raimi
- The Theatre, pp. 112-113
"Silence, Cunning, Exile"
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 114-116
- Cover: Rides of March