The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
October 31, 1994 Issue - 18 Articles
- Comment: No Exit, pp. 5-7
This time, Mario Cuomo's greatest enemy---himself---may win
- In the Mail, pp. 8-9
- Goings On About Town, pp. 10-34
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 35-41
Norma Desmond's hemlines, Molly Ivins' vows, Italy's unlikely saint, etc.
[+] Annals of Law: Juries on Trial (2 Reviews) , pp. 42-47
Do peremptory challenges get attorneys the juries they think they want? Not according t...
- We, the Jury by Jeffrey B. Abramson
- The Jury by Stephen J. Adler
- Onward and Upward with the Arts: Kafka's Heir, pp. 48-63
No other filmmaker today has as strange a world view as the Czech surrealist Jan Svankm...
- The World of Business: Grand Illusion, pp. 64-67
The collapse of Chris Whittle's visionary company, Whittle Communications, raises the q...
- Sketchbook: Scary, Scary Night, pp. 68-70
- "Carnations", pp. 71-77
- "The Winged Ones", pp. 78-81
- Life and Letters: Kenneth Tynan Between the Acts, pp. 82-89
The letters of the late Kenneth Tynan reveal a man who not only wrote about the theatre...
- Showcase: Jonathan Firth, pp. 90-91
- Fiction: "The Man in the Black Suit", pp. 92-104
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 105-107
Plays on Film
- Vanya on 42nd Steet (1994 Film) by Louis Malle
- The Browning Version (1994 Film) by Mike Figgis
[+] The Good Daughter (Review) , pp. 108-113
Searching for Mercy Street, by Linda Gray Sexton
- Searching for Mercy Street by Linda Gray Sexton
[+] Briefly Noted (5 Reviews) , pp. 114-115
Last Train to Memphis, by Peter Guralnick
- Last Train to Memphis by Peter Guralnick
- Knowing When to Stop by Ned Rorem
- Shostakovich: A Life Remembered by Elizabeth Wilson
- Measure for Measure by Thomas Levenson
- K.D. Lang: All You Get Is Me by Victoria Starr
- Shouts and Murmurs, pp. 116-118
- Cover: Halloween