The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
October 24, 1994 Issue - 18 Articles
- Comment: The Black Leadership Myth, pp. 7-11
It's time to stop following illusions of racial unanimity
- In the Mail, pp. 12-14
- Goings On About Town, pp. 15-36
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 37-41
Reading Dr. Deborah Tannen, Lutece's meal ticket, Ken Lipper goes Hollywood, a new Germ...
- Letter from Washington: Clinton's Escape Clause, pp. 42-53
Even after Haiti and Iraq, the Democrats are relying on the G.O.P.'s Contract with Amer...
- Onward and Upward with the Arts, pp. 54-61
Mrs. Roosevelt, Eight Feet Tall:A sculptor finds a key to Eleanor Roosevelt's towering ...
- A Reporter at Large: Lost in the Mail, pp. 62-65
Behind the wild failings of the Chicago post office is the bigger scandal of years of o...
- "October Light", pp. 66-72
- "The Nines", pp. 73-77
- A Critic at Large: Translating Brando, pp. 78-85
Marlon Brando changed acting, sex, politics, and class---and he changed them differentl...
- Fiction: "Zombie", pp. 86-94
[+] Sex and the Single Man (3 Reviews) , pp. 95-99
The Folding Star, by Alan Hollinghurst
- The Folding Star by Alan Hollinghurst
- American Studies by Mark Merlis
- Winter Birds by Jim Grimsley
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 100-104
Fun With Killers
- The Last Seduction (1994 Film) by John Dahl
- Bullets Over Broadway (1994 Film) by Woody Allen
- Musical Events, pp. 105-107
Emmanuel Chabrier's centenary
- On Television, pp. 108-110
[+] Books (3 Reviews) , p. 111
- In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien
- A Marriage Made at Woodstock by Cathie Pelletier
- Shelter by Jayne Anne Phillips
- Shouts and Murmurs, pp. 112-114
Another Royal Scandal
- Cover: Fall