The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
September 20, 1993 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: Back to School (Not), pp. 6-9
The asbestos scare is a scandal, but it isn't the real problem
- Goings On About Town, pp. 10-42
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 43-47
Building Barneys, the Sheikh's lawyer, long haul at the Algonquin, etc.
- Onward and Upward with the Arts: George Wolfe in Progress, pp. 48-63
On Broadway and in his first Public Theatre fall season, the director takes on Joe Papp...
- Annals of Medicine: Marshall's Hunch, pp. 64-73
A doctor's unorthodox experiment reveals a cause of many of the world's most prevalent ...
- Letter from London: The Deficit Millionaires, pp. 74-78
Thousands of respectable, upper-middle-class Britons stand to be wiped out through thei...
- Artist at Large: San Gennaro, pp. 79-81
- "That Lonely Shoe Lying on the Road", pp. 82-93
- Profile: Mr. and Mrs. Williams, pp. 94-102
Marsha Garces Williams, who is co-producing "Mrs. Doubtfire" with her husband, Robin Wi...
- Fiction: "Strong", p. 103
- "For a Modest God", pp. 104-107
- The Theatre, pp. 108-110
Harold Pinter's "Moonlight"
[+] The Current Cinema (Review) , pp. 111-113
Back to the Easel
- Divertimento - La Belle Noiseuse (1993 Film) by Jacques Rivette
- Musical Events, pp. 114-117
The Sante Fe Opera
[+] Books: Northern Light (Review) , pp. 118-120
Smilla's Sense of Snow, by Peter Hoeg
- Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg
[+] Willie's Version (Review) , pp. 121-123
New York Days, by Willie Morris
- New York Days by Willie Morris
- Portfolios: Stalin in Jersey, pp. 124-126
[+] Briefly Noted (3 Reviews) , p. 127
Body and Soul, by Frank Conroy
- Body and Soul by Frank Conroy
- American Slavery: 1619-1877 by Peter Kolchin
- Broadsides from the Other Orders by Sue Hubbell
- Shouts and Murmurs, pp. 128-130
The Way of All Text
- Cover: Arabesque