The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
April 26, 1993 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: The Wrong Prescription, pp. 4-7
Why health-care reform should be the easiest job in Washington
- Goings On About Town, pp. 8-32
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 33-37
- Around City Hall: Cry the Beloved Community, pp. 38-42
The ethnicity factor is big: Washington improvises while New York sticks to the same ol...
- Life and Letters: The Prince of Books, pp. 43-52
Roberto Calasso successfully publishes some of the most erudite literature in Italy, in...
- Annals of Politics: The Shalala Strategy, pp. 53-63
A veteran of the P.C. wars at Madison, Donna Shalala is ready to fight for her turf in ...
- A Reporter at Large: Women on the Edge, pp. 64-69
No one was willing to take responsibility for the streetwalking prostitutes of New York...
- "The Alligator Wrestler", pp. 70-72
- Artist's Notebook: Napoleon dans Son Bureau, pp. 73-75
- "A Boy's Life", pp. 76-81
- Postscript: Marian Anderson, pp. 82-83
- Fiction: "The Guide", pp. 84-85
- "New Life", pp. 86-104
- Jazz, pp. 105-106
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 107-110
Paying the Price
- Indecent Proposal (1993 Film) by Adrian Lyne
- The Story of Qiu Ju (1993 Film) by Yimou Zhang
- The Theatre, pp. 111-113
"Silence, Cunning, Exile," "The L.A. Plays," "Memory Tricks"
[+] Books: Whose Side Were You On? (Review) , pp. 114-118
Cruelty and Silence, by Kanan Makiya
- Cruelty and Silence by Kanan Makiya
[+] Briefly Noted (5 Reviews) , p. 119
Sacred Country, by Rose Tremain
- Sacred Country by Rose Tremain
- Saving St. Germ by Carol Muske Dukes
- Balkan Ghosts by Robert D. Kaplan
- Conversations: The Autobiography of Surrealism by Andre Breton and Marcel Jean
- The Worst of Times by Patricia G. Miller
- Shouts and Murmurs, pp. 120-122
- Cover: Earth Day