The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 14, 2005 Issue - 16 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
What caused the fall of organized labor?, etc.
- TRB: Tipping Point, p. 6
When President Bush invokes the transformative power of certain events, he's really mak...
- Wrong Way, p. 7
The United States shouldn't pull out of Iraq until Iraqi security forces are equipped t...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Mitch "the Blade" Daniels turns tax-and-spend, etc.
- Jerusalem Dispatch: True Colors, pp. 10-11
Israeli leftists are incredulously celebrating Ariel Sharon's "transformation" to poten...
- The Outsiders, pp. 12-14
In the race for chairman of the Democratic National Committee, the fissures in the Demo...
- Sex Ed, pp. 15-16
Lawrence Summers's remarks on gender shouldn't have been controversial. That they were ...
- Save the Date, pp. 17-21
The U.S. presence in Iraq is not pacifying the insurgency---it's making it worse
- Staying Power, pp. 22-23
A U.S. withdrawal from Iraq would prevent democracy from forming there---and elsewhere
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Two Prisoners (2 Reviews) , p. 24
Monsieur N (2003 Film), by Antoine de Caunes
- Monsieur N (2003 Film) by Antoine de Caunes
- The Woodsman (2004 Film) by Nicole Kassell
[+] The Founder (2 Reviews) , pp. 25-26
Nehru: A Political Life, by Judith M. Brown
- Nehru: A Political Life by Judith M. Brown
- Nehru: The Invention of India by Shashi Tharoor
- When the Skies Part, pp. 27-31
[+] Out of Africa (Review) , pp. 32-34
Melville J. Herskovits and the Racial Politics of Knowledge, by Jerry Gershenhorn
- Melville J. Herskovits and the Racial Politics of Knowledge by Jerry Gershenhorn
[+] Dead Souls (Review) , pp. 35-37
Monumental Propaganda, by Vladimir Voinovich
- Monumental Propaganda by Vladimir Voinovich
- Cambridge Diarist, pp. 38-40
Body of Evidence
- Cover Illustration