The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 11, 2005 Issue - 16 Articles
Politics and the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
How serious is the United States about ficting AIDS?, etc.
- TRB: Private Eyes, p. 6
The Schiavo case is splitting Democrats committed to privacy from those who advocate gr...
- What Schiavo Taught, p. 7
We are all bioethicists now
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Donna Brazile regresses, etc.
- White House Watch: Face Plant, p. 10
The new Social Security compromise from investment executive (and Bush favorite) Robert...
- Flash Back, pp. 11-13
The White House is looking at a new model for combatting the Iraqi insurgency: El Salva...
- Kosovo Dispatch: Paradigm Slip, pp. 14-17
The international community holds up Kosovo as an example of how to stop one ethnic gro...
- Remaindered, pp. 18-19
U.S. companies are finally catching on: Brand America doesn't sell like it used to
- The Politics of Churlishness, pp. 20-23
George W. Bush's single-minded devotion to democracy in the Middle East is actually pay...
Books and the Arts
[+] Films: Two Suburbs (2 Reviews) , p. 24
The Upside of Anger (2005 Film), by Mike Binder
- The Upside of Anger (2005 Film) by Mike Binder
- Nina's Tragedies (2005 Film) by Savi Gavison
- Art: Utopian Designs, pp. 25-29
A stunning overview of the Arts and Crafts movement reaffirms the dream of a unity of t...
- After the Deluge, pp. 30-31
A report from a relief mission
- From "Works of Mercy", pp. 32-33
[+] Hardness (3 Reviews) , pp. 34-37
Dirty Snow, by Georges Simenon
- Dirty Snow by Georges Simenon
- Three Bedrooms in Manhattan by Georges Simenon
- Monsieur Monde Vanishes by Georges Simenon
- Vatican City Diarist, pp. 38-40
- Cover Photos