The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 29, 2004 Issue - 16 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Does President Bush really attend church?, etc.
- TRB: Morally Correct, pp. 6-8
How evangelicals embraced victimhood
- End of Discussion, p. 9
Judging from his recent appointments, Bush thinks his first-term administration had one...
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Harry Reid's nuclear waste, etc.
- Nablus Dispatch: Family Feud, p. 12
The new Palestinian leadership is worrieda about Hamas. But it's the PLO's own militant...
- Friend Like This, pp. 13-14
Meet Pakistan's new ambassador to the United States, an alleged member of A.Q. Khan's p...
- House Call, p. 15
The Bush administration is letting Congress decide whether to privatize Social Security...
- Cape Hope, pp. 16-17
Wind pwoer is a relatively cheap, low-polluting source of energy. You'd think it would ...
- How to Judge, pp. 18-20
Bush's vow to appoint a "strict constructionist" to the Supreme Court terrifies liberal...
- Debt Riders, pp. 21-27
The deficit is growing larger and larger, threatening the U.S. economy and hurting aver...
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Rites of Stardom (2 Reviews) , p. 28
Alfie (2004 Film), by Charles Shyer
- Alfie (2004 Film) by Charles Shyer
- Callas Forever (2002 Film) by Franco Zeffirelli
- Art: Modern Immaturity, pp. 29-33
The Museum of Modern Art, once a laboratory, is now a monument. Its re-opening reveals ...
[+] The Archives of Evil (4 Reviews) , pp. 34-40
From Darkness to Light, by Igal Halfin
- From Darkness to Light by Igal Halfin
- Terror in My Soul by Igal Halfin
- The Affirmative Action Empire by Terry Martin
- Making Sense of War by Amir Weiner
- Allegory With Wasps, p. 41
- Cambridge Diarist, pp. 42-44
Law and Disorder
- Cover Illustration