The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 30, 2002 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Why no one knows the truth about vouchers, etc.
- TRB: Misspeak, p. 6
Let's stop pretending the war is about the U.N.
- Penny Wise, p. 7
Mitch Daniels v. rebuilding Afghanistan
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Saddam's fake offer, U.S. News' accidental plagiarist, etc.
- White House Watch: Two Tone, pp. 10-11
Bushies v. Bushies at the U.N.
- London Dispatch: Over and Out, pp. 12-13
Could war bring down Blair?
- San Francisco Dispatch: Second City, pp. 14-17
The Bay Area moves right
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Hit List, p. 18
Israel's real fear: Iran
- No Strikes, pp. 19-21
The case for inspections and against "preemptive" war
- Fall Guy, pp. 22-25
A few months ago Bill McBride was a political unknown running 30 points behind Janet Re...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Attempts to Astonish (2 Reviews) , p. 26
In Praise of Love (2001 Film), by Jean-Luc Godard
- In Praise of Love (2001 Film) by Jean-Luc Godard
- Children of the Century (1999 Film) by Diane Kurys
[+] Passing the Buck (2 Reviews) , pp. 27-32
Scientists, Business, and the State, 1890-1960, by Patrick J. McGrath
- Scientists, Business, and the State, 1890-1960 by Patrick J. McGrath
- Science, Money, and Politics by Daniel S. Greenberg
[+] The Great White Male (Review) , pp. 33-36
Herman Melville: A Biography, Vol. II: 1851-1891, by Hershel Parker
- Herman Melville: A Biography, Vol. II: 1851-1891 by Hershel Parker
[+] Going for Baroque (6 Reviews) , pp. 37-39
Artemisia Gentileschi and the Authority of Art, by R. Ward Bissell
- Artemisia Gentileschi and the Authority of Art by R. Ward Bissell
- Orazio and Artemisia Gentileschi by Keith Christiansen and Judith W. Mann
- Artemisia Gentileschi by Mary D. Garrard
- Artemisia Gentileschi Around 1622 by Mary D. Garrard
- Artemisia by Alexandra Lapierre
- The Passion of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland
- Rebuilding Year, pp. 40-41
- Jerusalem Diarist: Normal, pp. 42-44
- On the Cover: Illustration