The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 21, 2001 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 6-7
Who's duller, Tom Daschle or Hillary Clinton?, etc.
- TRB: Union Due, pp. 8-10
Why America should fear the European Union
- Error of Commission, p. 11
Why it's OK for the U.S. to be alone at the U.N.
- Notebook, pp. 12-13
The pope's road to Damascus, etc.
- White House Watch: Write Hand, pp. 14-15
W.'s hidden intellectuals
- Victim Politics, p. 16
Pro-choicers snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
- Brunei Dispatch: Paradise Spent, p. 17
Shangri-la goes bust
- Going Stronger, p. 18
Why conservatives are winning the tax war
- Going for Broke, pp. 19-21
Almost every cost estimate the Bushies have given for their tax cut is wrong. Not becau...
- Going for Gold, pp. 22-27
Conservatives say the tax cut wil help waitresses. They say it will spur the economy. B...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Love, Deathless and Lifeless (2 Reviews) , pp. 28-29
Under the Sand (2000 Film), by Francois Ozon
- Under the Sand (2000 Film) by Francois Ozon
- Town and Country (2001 Film) by Peter Chelsom
- Preventing a Brave New World, pp. 30-38
Human cloning is close to becoming a reality. If we don't ban it soon, the human world ...
[+] The Ghost Rutter (Review) , pp. 39-41
The Dying Animal, by Philip Roth
- The Dying Animal by Philip Roth
[+] Problematizing Evil (Review) , pp. 42-43
When Victims Become Killers, by Mahmood Mamdani
- When Victims Become Killers by Mahmood Mamdani
- Sky and River, Net and Open Book, pp. 44-46
[+] Lights, Camera, Hatred (Review) , pp. 47-49
Hollywood and Anti-Semitism, by Steven Alan Carr
- Hollywood and Anti-Semitism by Steven Alan Carr
- Cambridge Diarist: Honors, pp. 50-52
- On the Cover: Photo