The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 22, 2001 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Why are public schools so bad? Why are they so good?, etc.
- TRB: Lock in the Cabinet, p. 6
Silence Ashcroft. Confirm him
- Feel Her Pain, p. 7
Linda Chavez, Clintonite extraordinaire
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Jesse Jackson goes to the movies, etc.
- On the Hill, p. 10
Color War:Ashcroft divides the Democrats
- Sticker Shock, p. 11
What government shouldn't tell you about your food
- What Went Right: Modest Gain, pp. 12-14
W. says he wants a humble administration that puts power in local hands. Sounds like th...
- What Went Right: Air Time, pp. 15-16
How a timid president won the war in Kosovo and developed a major new military doctrine...
- What Went Right: Formula Won, pp. 17-19
Clinton developed a coherent economic policy that made America boom. Who cares if the i...
- A Dissent: Method Acting, pp. 20-21
What does Clinton's economic policy teach up about how to make America prosper in the n...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Three in One (Review) , p. 22
Traffic (2000 Film), by Steven Soderbergh
- Traffic (2000 Film) by Steven Soderbergh
- On Art: The Adolescent City, pp. 23-29
The artist, New York, and the two-way street that never sleeps
[+] The Shooting Game (Review) , pp. 30-34
Arming America, by Michael A. Bellesiles
- Arming America by Michael A. Bellesiles
- Prospero with Teenagers, p. 35
[+] The Eye's God (Review) , pp. 36-37
The Forbidden Image, by Alain Besancon
- The Forbidden Image by Alain Besancon
[+] Rock Bottom (Review) , pp. 38-41
The Royal Family, by William T. Vollmann
- The Royal Family by William T. Vollmann
- Washington Diarist: Carvin' the Bird, pp. 42-44
- On the Cover: Illustration