The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 15, 2001 Issue - 16 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Undervotes, overvotes, revotes, etc.
- TRB: Sounds of Silence, p. 6
W.'s quiet, boring, lovely Cabinet
- Mischief, p. 7
American fantasies, Middle Eastern reality
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
John Ashcroft, crusader for election fairness, etc.
- Tel Aviv Dispatch: Center Stage, p. 10
Ehud Barak and Ariel Sharon are alike: defensive, polarizing, headstrong. But at least...
- Moral Minority, pp. 11-13
Before conservatives get too excited about Tommy Thompson as secretary of health and hu...
- Good to Go, pp. 14-16
What Bill Clinton still hasn't learned about Israel, the Palestinians, and the meaning ...
- Means of Consent, pp. 17-19
There's nothing Washington admires more than bipartisanship. None of the definitions ma...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Women in Danger (3 Reviews) , p. 20
The House of Mirth (2000 Film), by Terence Davies
- The House of Mirth (2000 Film) by Terence Davies
- Malena (2000 Film) by Giuseppe Tornatore
- Chocolat (1990 Film) by Lasse Hallstrom
- On Theater: Dreaming a Dream Play, p. 21
Robert Wilson's stunning new production of A Dream Play
- The Moment, p. 22
[+] Girlie, Interrupted (4 Reviews) , pp. 23-29
Manifesta, by Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards
- Manifesta by Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards
- Dear Sisters by Rosalyn Baxandall and Linda Gordon
- Life So Far by Betty Friedan
- Not One of the Boys by Brenda Feigen
[+] Cruel to Be Kind (4 Reviews) , pp. 30-34
Rudy!, by Wayne Barrett and Adam Fifield
- Rudy! by Wayne Barrett and Adam Fifield
- Rudy Giuliani: Emperor of the City by Andrew Kirtzman
- Giuliani: Nasty Man by Ed Koch
- Sayings of Generalissimo Guiliani by Kevin McAuliffe
[+] Local Hero (Review) , pp. 35-37
Gerald Finzi: An English Composer, by Stephen Banfield
- Gerald Finzi: An English Composer by Stephen Banfield
- Washington Diarist: Personal Best, pp. 38-40
- On the Cover: Illustration