The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 13, 1999 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Licensing guns, professionalizing teacher's aides, etc.
- TRB: Devolution, pp. 6-7
The candidates wimp out on creationism in Kansas
- Campaign Journal: Leaning Left, pp. 8-10
Bill Bradley's plan to outflank Al Gore
- Masters of Disasters, p. 11
Turkey shows that international disaster relief efforts have improved---but they need t...
- Notebook, p. 12
French fakery, West's wind, etc.
- To Tell the Truth, pp. 13-15
Why George W. Bush, and the nation, would be better off he would tell us exactly what h...
- Just Asking, pp. 16-19
Is passing a government background check really anything to boast about?
- Voting Alone, pp. 20-21
Holding elections on the Internet might boost voter turnout---but only at the expense o...
- Brazil Dispatch: Heading South, p. 22
The origins of a South American giant's economic underperformance and vast income inequ...
- Serbia Dispatch: Unopposed, pp. 23-25
Democrats in Belgrade are united on the streets but divided behind the scenes. With ene...
- Kosovo Dispatch: Patchwork Protectorate, pp. 26-29
The United Nations seems well on its way to bungling another exercise in nation-building
- Suspect Policy, pp. 30-35
Racial profiling by the police isn't necessarily motivated by bigotry. In fact, it's qu...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Mastery and Misery (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
Lucie Aubrac (1999 Film), by Claude Berri
- Lucie Aubrac (1999 Film) by Claude Berri
- Stiff Upper Lips (1997 Film) by Gary Sinyor
[+] The Un-Ugly American (Review) , pp. 38-46
The Man Who Tried to Save the World, by Scott Anderson
- The Man Who Tried to Save the World by Scott Anderson
[+] History's Toll (Review) , pp. 47-50
Village Bells, by Alain Corbin
- Village Bells by Alain Corbin
[+] Mr. Lonelyhearts (Review) , pp. 51-53
Nathanael West: Novels and Other Writings, by Sacvan Bercovitch and Nathanael West
- Nathanael West: Novels and Other Writings by Sacvan Bercovitch and Nathanael West
- Tell the People, pp. 54-57
- Washington Diarist: Class Dismissed, pp. 58-60
- On the Cover: Photo