The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 29, 1999 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Bringing down political science, bringing up baby
- TRB: Sideshow, pp. 6-8
Why partial-birth abortion doesn't matter
- Grudge Genocide, p. 9
By the way, there's a war in Chechnya
- Notebook, p. 10
Donald Trump soaks his people, Yasir Arafat soaks his, etc.
- Windows Dressing, p. 11
Searching Silicon Valley for somebody, anybody, who cares about the Microsoft ruling
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Road Rage, p. 12
For years Palestinians pushed for a highway linking Gaza and the West Bank. Now, to the...
- Taking Offense, p. 13
Why don't mainstream campaign finance reformers get anywhere? Maybe because they're too...
- Germany Dispatch: Middle of Nowhere, pp. 14-16
Germany discovers the Third Way. And hates it
- The Jester, pp. 17-19
Meet Al Gore's press secretary, Chris Lehane, the man responsible for making the world'...
- The Enforcer, pp. 20-23
Meet George Bush's communications director, Karen Hughes, the woman responsible for pro...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Two Teenage Girls (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
Rosetta (1999 Film), by Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne
- Rosetta (1999 Film) by Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne
- The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999 Film) by Luc Besson
[+] The Past Is Not a Foreign Country (2 Reviews) , pp. 26-33
Righteous Victims, by Benny Morris
- Righteous Victims by Benny Morris
- The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World by Avi Shlaim
- Poem of the Twentieth Century, pp. 34-35
[+] Scored for Life (Review) , pp. 36-38
The Big Test, by Nicholas Lemann
- The Big Test by Nicholas Lemann
[+] Unenlightenment (Review) , pp. 39-41
Building a Bridge to the 18th Century, by Neil Postman
- Building a Bridge to the 18th Century by Neil Postman
- Borderlands Diarist: On the Road, pp. 42-44
- On the Cover: Illustration