The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 15, 1999 Issue - 16 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Impeachment material, investment material, etc.
- TRB: No Limit, pp. 6-8
A sensible idea about campaign finance reform from, of all people, Lamar Alexander
- Tax Bites, p. 9
Why Americans are in no mood for a tax revolt
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Italian hypocrisy, Dole's functioning, etc.
[+] Woburn Postcard: Civil Inaction (Review) , p. 12
A Civil Action (1998 Film), by Steven Zaillian
- A Civil Action (1998 Film) by Steven Zaillian
- Must See TV?, p. 13
How the networks might make up for the loss of Monica
- Ankara Dispatch: Kurdled, pp. 14-15
Just how authentic was Abdullah Ocalan's claim to represent the dispossessed of Turkey?
- The Making of a Crusader, pp. 16-17
If you want to know why Gary Bauer thinks his improbable presidential campaign can succ...
- Suburban Myth, pp. 18-21
"Livability" is the hot new pre-campaign issue. But is it a genuine campaign for enviro...
- A World Imagined, pp. 22-25
The problem with American foreign policy is that its goal is to promote civil society--...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Three Actors (3 Reviews) , p. 26
Blast from the Past (1999 Film), by Hugh Wilson
- Blast from the Past (1999 Film) by Hugh Wilson
- The Empty Mirror (1996 Film) by Barry J. Hershey
- Message in a Bottle (1999 Film) by Luis Mandoki
[+] Against Innocence (4 Reviews) , pp. 27-37
Moral Panic, by Philip Jenkins
- Moral Panic by Philip Jenkins
- Erotic Innocence by James R. Kincaid
- Pictures of Innocence by Anne Higonnet
- Kidnapped: Child Abduction in America by Paula S. Fass
[+] The Disputation of Desire (Review) , pp. 38-39
A Journey to the End of the Millennium, by A.B. Yehoshua
- A Journey to the End of the Millennium by A.B. Yehoshua
- For Merrill, pp. 40-41
- New York Diarist: Uma and Me, pp. 42-44