The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 18, 1999 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Profiling pundits, divorcing children, etc.
- TRB: Scandalania, pp. 6-8
Who cares what Robert De Niro thinks? The country should actually be thankful for the L...
- Ingrates, p. 9
What does the Clinton administration have to show for its overtures to Russia and China?
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Lame apologies, lame law, etc.
- White House Watch: Business Unusual, p. 12
After the impeachment vote, life at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue returns to abnormal
- Impeach Johnson!, pp. 13-14
Why Lincoln's successor should have been removed from office---and why Bill Clinton sho...
- On the Hill: Byrd Brain, pp. 15-16
Robert C. Byrd, the Senate's procedural eminence grise, has emerged as the most sought-...
- Trial and Tribulation, p. 17
The constitutional imponderables---and perils---of the Senate's impending procedure aga...
- Richard Milhous Clinton, pp. 18-21
Our president, a Nixon for the '90s
- Security Risk, pp. 22-25
Is Social Security privatization the key to saving the system---or the first step towar...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Hello from Hollywood (Review) , p. 26
Hurlyburly (1998 Film), by Anthony Drazan
- Hurlyburly (1998 Film) by Anthony Drazan
[+] The Fire of Great Designs (Review) , pp. 27-36
A Rage to Live, by Mary S. Lovell
- A Rage to Live by Mary S. Lovell
[+] Half-Against Flaubert (Review) , pp. 37-39
Flaubert: Selected Letters, by Geoffrey Wall and Gustave Flaubert
- Flaubert: Selected Letters by Geoffrey Wall and Gustave Flaubert
- Courtesy, pp. 40-41
[+] Monks and Moderns (Review) , pp. 42-45
Decadent Enchantments, by Katherine Bergeron
- Decadent Enchantments by Katherine Bergeron
- Cambridge Diarist: Flags and Fanatics, pp. 46-48
- Cover, Illustration