The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 18, 1998 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Communism in Vietnam, the test-prep problem, etc.
- TRB: Wrong Roth, p. 6
The Roth IRA may or may not be a good deal for you and your family. But it's definitely...
- Tax Tales, p. 7
The IRS show trials return
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Saddam stymies UNSCOM, the facts stymie the Concord Coalition, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Charles II, p. 10
The author of The Bell Curve is up to his old tricks again
- Washington Scene: Hack Heaven, p. 11
Teenage computer vandals make software companies an offer they can't refuse
- On the Hill: Housebroken, p. 12
The absurdity known as Dan Burton's campaign finance hearings
- Lagos Dispatch: Sani Days, p. 13
Why is Nigeria's dictator still in power? In part, because Nigerians care more about th...
- Kosovo Dispatch: The Warpath, pp. 14-15
How the West's determination to avoid an Albanian revolt in the Balkans led to bloodshe...
- Bankrupt Policy, pp. 16-17
Defenders of a proposed bankruptcy reform claim it would help consumers. How come the c...
- The Fat Tax: Why taxing Ronald McDonald might actually make more sense than taxing Joe Camel, p. 18
- White House Watch: Wonderwork, pp. 19-20
The administration hasn't had much to say about the McCain tobacco bill. That's probabl...
- The Great Liberal Smokeout, pp. 21-23
The cigarette tax probably can't cut teen smoking as much as proponents say, and it cer...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: In a Different Light (Review) , p. 24
Wilde (1997 Film), by Brian Gilbert
- Wilde (1997 Film) by Brian Gilbert
[+] The Pluralist (Review) , pp. 25-31
The First Hundred Years of Mikhail Bakhtin, by Caryl Emerson
- The First Hundred Years of Mikhail Bakhtin by Caryl Emerson
[+] More is Less (Review) , pp. 32-36
Seeing Like a State, by James C. Scott
- Seeing Like a State by James C. Scott
[+] All Mere Complexities (Review) , p. 37
Autobiography of Red, by Anne Carson
- Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson
- Middle Distance, pp. 38-41
- Washington Diarist: On the Pill, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Illustration